How do you travel alone? You must be brave to travel alone. Ain’t you scared of travelling alone this far? These are some of the questions and comments I always get from people when they realised I am on a trip alone. My response is always the same. For me travelling solo is one of the most liberating and self- affirming experiences a person can ever do. Are you are ready to break out of your comfort zone and take time to rediscover yourself and new places ? When travelling solo and independently around the world can be a bit daunting too, but it is amazing how much confidence you can build. Below are my top 10 tips on travelling solo.
- Choose wisely – when choosing the destination have a reason behind it. I have realised that when I go somewhere and have a reason for visiting that place I tend to enjoy the trip more. And my days are filled with all the things I want to do and wish to see.
- Scan your documents – and email it to yourself and another person. This will help if you lose your original documents and need some sort of identity proof.
- Travel Insurance – this is a no brainer and I am sure you have heard this a million times. It is not only about having a travel insurance but read small prints on what the insurance covers. Be clear on how to make a claim.
- Keep your valuable safe on transit and on final destination – trust me I know the feeling of frustration that comes with losing something valuable.
- Spend extra money on staying safe – this is one rule I apply all the time. We all love good deals when we are travelling and saving pennies there and there. When it comes to your safety you are better off spending that little extra. For an instance book a hotel that is central and easy to get too than paying less for a hotel that will be need you to use taxis or walk after a night out.
- Know where you are going – research the destination you travelling to. Know all the facts, laws, religion, the good and the bad. No one wants to be arrested in a foreign country for breaking the law because they didn’t know.
- On days you are out take only what you need and leave the rest on the hotel safe. Two worse scenario, you lose your items or you get robbed.
- Watch what you eat and drink – this not a case of someone putting drugs or something dodgy to your food and drinks. If you are travelling alone you cannot afford to have food poising or be sick. Choose dining places wisely and read reviews.
- Make friends – one of the reasons we travel is to meet new people and possible make new friends. Even if that is the case don’t trust easily as you get to know people. Watch what you say to them like where you are staying and room number.
- Be safe – which goes hand in hand with common sense and blending in. Do not make it obvious you are a tourist and travelling alone.
SWIMSUIT – SOLID & STRIPED